blah, blah, blah

Friday, January 20, 2006

Party Planning

DD's birthday is coming up. I've been debating whether or not to have a 'party' for her since November. We have only one relative in town who could attend and only a few other friends most of whom do not have children. Well I decided last weekend, Saturday in fact, that we would have a party and invite some of her friends from day school. Because our dog is having some problems, we would not have the party at our house. So to Chuck E. Cheese we go. We took DD on Sunday to see if she'd like it and she did. I went online to reserve a party space and tentatively set the number for 4 children. I made some invitations with PS using My Little Pony characters and then started thinking of whom we'd invite. I asked DD who she wanted to invite from school. She's an outgoing girl but I really didn't expect her to name practically EVERY SINGLE KID in her class. She also wanted to invite a few friends from other day care homes that she's attended. I know, I could have nipped this in the bud but I got caught up in the excitement. I am now inviting 14 children.

I asked my husband to get the names of the kids that she plays with the most from the teacher when he dropped DD off at school. He only got four names. I thought this was a little odd because they were only girl names and DD had mentioned several boys, one J in particular. So when I picked DD up at school we gave invitations to the four previously mentioned and to four more that DD recommended to me personally, right there on the spot. We go home and I tell Z guy what I've done, quite proud of myself. Z guy gets mildly upset that I didn't just stick to the four but mostly that I gave an invitation to the little boy J. He tells me that DD is scared of J because he chases her and yells at her. But she told me that she wanted him to come, I say. Then I turn to DD and ask if J is a nice boy or if he mean. She tells me that he's mean. I'm really surprised and upset. I ask her if she wants him to come to her party and she says no. Now I'm really upset (Glines syndrome approaching...). I'm just sure that she's saying this now because Z guy has just mentioned that he thinks J is mean. I'm so confused. Z guy and I confer trying to decide whether or not we should try to take back the invitation (I'd left them late in the day with the teacher so the children/parents wouldn't get them until the morning). Z guy decides if he gets there early enough, he will take back the invite. I'm really mortified about this. I just think it is so wrong.

When he gets to school in the morning, J's mother has already dropped him off and picked up the invite - GASP! What are we to do! I calm down after a bit thinking that maybe it won't be so bad. It is only one day and one little party at a very crowded place. Perhaps no one will notice a little hellion terrorizing my beautiful daughter - Oh dear. When I pick DD up after work, I ask her teacher if J is really bad and if he and DD play together. She tells me that he is a handful but that yes they do play. She says he's quite intense so much so that generally he is the life of the party to the other kids. Whew! I feel much better.

When I get home, I check my email. I have one RSVP already. It is from J's mother. He won't be attending. It is Super Bowl Sunday and they have prior arrangements. For some reason I feel both relieved and disappointed.

1 Comments:

  • Wow. It's such a roller-coaster. Part of me is sad he won't come too, but it'll probably go better without him. I hope it all goes well and I wish I could be there. They've got Skee-Ball, I'm sure! hehee

    By Blogger Overread, at 1/20/2006 5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home