blah, blah, blah

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Christmas with Family


Nine years ago my husband and I moved from the area we'd grown up in to a great place, but very far from all our friends and family. We've made a few new friends but when we talk about home, it has most often been referring to where we grew up - the buckle in the Bible belt. I miss the cold a little bit. We would occasionally have snow at Christmas when we went home - not so where we live now (although once it snowed for about 10 minutes in a spot very near where we live and it always snows 2 hours from hear - who cares...) .

Christmas is my favorite holiday of the year. I have soooo many fond memories of family times, music, singing songs, decorated trees, eating and of course finding the gifts that Santa had brought. The time with family made it all the more precious. We used to open a few packages at my Grandma and Grandpa's on Christmas Eve then we would go over to our MamaTeen and Poli's (my dad's parents). Christmas Eve is her birthday, so we would have a small birthday celebration then tear into the Christmas packages. We would anxiously watch for Santa on the Doppler radar on TV (I think they still do this). My Grandma and Grandpa would come over to our house early on Christmas morning to watch us open MORE presents. Boy, do I have some of the best memories of waking up early to see a tree surrounded by packages. I can specifically remember how it was lit in the dark and how the lights cast a strange multi-color glow on everything. We did not have much in general, but we were spoiled rotten on Christmas by everyone.

I've only been away from 'home' and family at Christmas two other times in my life. This year will be the third time and I am somewhat apprehensive. The first time I was away, I went to Venezuela with my then boyfriend. I had a lot of fun (I mean, hey, it was the most beautiful beach and great people) and I didn't miss home so much.

The second time was in 2002. I was very pregnant with my first child and had been advised not to travel. My dad was diagnosed with metastasized cancer a few weeks before Christmas but no one told me until after Christmas. It was a nice gesture, but that year will always be tainted. He died in March of 2003 and I miss him immensely. He was a huge part of my Christmas. In the past years, he and I would make a special trek together to the mall to find presents for everyone soon after I'd arrived back home. He always took lots of pictures - those are all the more special now. He loved Christmas as much as I do; maybe I he influenced me.

I will not miss the standard holiday rush we have been used to the past several years: scrambling to get home (which involves getting on plane and flying for 4+ hours - only good if you're going to HI), shipping packages, get them wrapped, seeing and spending quality time with everyone. But, I will be a sad all the same. Christmas isn't Christmas without family. I don't know when we'll be going back. Two small children and travel costs are keeping us home for now. Perhaps I should be satisfied with the start of new family traditions and memories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home