blah, blah, blah

Friday, January 20, 2006

Poetry Friday

Jo(e) recommended blogging some poetry on Friday. I thought that sounded fun so here is one of my favorite poems (it is also a favorite of my mother).

The Swing

by Robert Louis Stevenson

How do you like to go up in a swing,
Up in the air so blue?
Oh, I do think it the pleasantest thing
Ever a child can do!

Up in the air and over the wall,
Till I can see so wide,
River and trees and cattle and all
Over the countryside--

Till I look down on the garden green,
Down on the roof so brown--
Up in the air I go flying again,
Up in the air and down!

funny thing is that i always thought the first line was: "Oh, how I love to go up in a swing...

3 Comments:

  • Robert Louis Stevenson's A Child's Garden of Verses was one of my favorite books when I was a child. My mother used to read it to me over and over again until I had most of the poems memorized. Two of my favorites were Farewell to the Farm and The Lamplighter.

    Naturally I read the book over and over to my own children.

    It made my day to click over here this morning and see this poem.

    By Blogger jo(e), at 1/23/2006 6:55 AM  

  • thx jo(e)!

    By Blogger mendi-la, at 1/23/2006 10:27 PM  

  • i vaguely remember that one...

    By Blogger jayfish, at 1/24/2006 10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home