blah, blah, blah

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Technology Meme - Whew!

via Geeky Mom...

1. Do you remember when you saw your first computer? When did you actually use one? What about having your own? Do you own a laptop? (PC or Mac?) Have you gone wireless at home yet?

I’m not sure when I saw my first computer (Atari doesn’t count right?!). My brothers got a Commodore 64 sometime in the early eighties and my Dad bought a very tiny word processor a few years after that, that I do remember but I don’t remember its make. It was unusually small and flat (for the day), it didn’t work very well, and therefore we didn’t keep it long.

I first used a computer after I started a lab tech job while in college. My boss owned and used several TRS80s that used really big floppy disks. I worked for him for almost 8 years and during that time we upgraded to several PC clones. The first program I remember being pretty good at using a program I remember being called Word but I don’t think it was a MS product.

I got my first personal computer during my third or fourth year of college (1992). I bought a Gateway with all the fancy gadgets you could get at the time. What a beast it was. I ran into Z guy during this time. He worked at the university in the IS department. I had a new computer and he knew computers – what a perfect fit. The rest is history.

We now own multiple computers, laptop and big bulky beasts. We are somewhat of a geeky family but not too much. The majority are PC but we do have one Mac clamshell that is so old it almost doesn’t count anymore. We have gone wireless at home. A necessary evil as we have multiple laptops that reside in different places; under the couch, on the kitchen counter, next to the bed. We do have more computers than cars but that’s not saying much. Oh, most of them work but there was a time about a year ago when the reverse was true.

2. When did you first go online and/or use email? Who did you email back then? How did the internet change your life? When did you discover blogging? What about your home internet connection - is it dial-up, DSL, cable?

I first used email as we know it in college, during the nineties. I emailed colleagues regarding the research we were doing. However while writing this I remembered that my wee bub had a BBS back in the eighties. I did use it a few times but did not understand what I was doing. I think I only emailed him.

Email is now a big part of my life. I am not extroverted. I don’t always pick up the phone. I will now stay in contact with folks that are further away, in different time zones etc. It is indispensable at work. I love the evidence of it that shows you did contact someone regarding X and that it is their fault, they dropped the ball, not you – whaaa haa haa ahhhaaa. I digress.

I also cannot live without the interent. I feel very cut off of “the real world” if I have no access. I’m not sure what to do without myself if I can’t access miscellaneous bits of information.

I discovered blogging this year. I’m not sure I’m good at it. It requires active participation and action on my part. I’m more of a lurker than an doer.

We have DSL and cable at home – I think – Z guy is in charge of this. As I said, I just want access. I don’t care how I get it.

3. Do you remember your first VCR? What about a video camera (there were some bulky ones back in the 80s and 90s) and home videos?

Our first VCR was a top loader I think. We also got this in the early eighties. We never had beta. My dad had a reel camera (or had access to) as evidenced by some home movies of us kids that I’ve found but I don’t remember it.

My first video camera was purchased during the summer of 1992 for a float trip. Z guy and I took it with us down the river in a giant baggie. That was one of the best weekends ever and we have it all on tape. We were evil though and returned it first thing the next week because we were broke college students who could not afford such a thing. Wally world took it back, no questions asked.

4. When did you switch from VCR to DVD? How did it change your video viewing experience? Do you use TiVo or any such "contraption" to tape TV shows? Do you use Netflix or some other internet-based DVD "renting" service?

We still have both VCR and DVD players. The DVDs are fun because of all the extras. We had to keep the VCR because we had so many tapes and then DD came along. Many of her VCR tapes are beginning to wear out and we don’t buy any new tapes, so eventually it will be transitioned out. Since the VCR is easy to use, it has been nice to let her use/abuse the VCR. However, she has also become adept at managing the DVD player- scratched discs and all.

I CANNOT LIVE without TiVo. It is the best thing next to sliced cheese…After children, I could not keep up with my program viewing schedule. TiVo has allowed us to continue to watch the shows we want to, when we want to. I’m usually only off by a day or two when watching the shows. And this way, I can keep talking to my friends about whatever was going on on Grey’s Anatomy etc. We are also watching a bunch of other stuff that we never could have watched before; my gardening shows and his car shows.

We do not use any ‘renting’ service because TiVo keeps our viewing plate full.

5. What about music? Did you enjoy listening favorite music in Long Plays or did you prefer cassette tapes? When did you buy your fist CD player and switched to CDs? Did you abandon them (and turned to downloaded music) for MP3 players or Ipods or do you still buy CDs? (I'm not going to ask or comment about "illegal" music activities in the internet, even though it was an exciting innovation, lest one of us gets arrested for it :)

I almost always buy and listen to an entire album. I always have. I used to buy the record, the buy the remixed single in LP when I was in high school. We used to make our own cassettes from the LPs we bought (my brothers and I). Toward the end of high school and into college, I was buying lots of cassettes. I got my first CD player in college and began that transition. I got rid of all my cassettes just two years ago. That was really painful for me. All of that music meant something to me but as was pointed out, I no longer listened to it. We only have one cassette player and it is in the house and I listen to most of my music on the road.

I got my first iPod this past November for my birthday. I have ripped almost all my CDs onto the pod and I love it. I will be sad to see my CDs go but I may not completely give them all up. I really like the artwork and effort they put into them however, they are bulky and I have to much junk in the house as it is. I like being able to buy music online. I have only purchased a few CDs since then that I can’t find online.

6. Do you own and use a cell phone? Do you think it's useful or just annoying?(Did you always have a telephone in your house growing up? Did you have a phone in your own room?)

Yes, I have a 5 year old Motorola. I use it only occasionally. We have always had phones growing up and I did have one in my room but not my own line.

7. When did you first buy a digital camera? What kind was it (3.2, 4.0, 5.0 mega-pixels or better)? Did you start taking more pictures or were you a photo aficionado before then? What about a digital video camera?

I got my first digi camera about 5 years ago. I think it was a Fuji. I loved it! I have since upgraded in 2003 to a Cannon that can do little mpg movies. I honestly have no idea how many pixels it does or any of that. It is point and click and easy to use. The pictures are often very good except those taken indoors (true I think of many cameras). I take way too many pictures of my darling children. It is nice for those family who are not near though as they get to watch them grow vicariously. I am not a photo aficionado but that runs in the family. If I would dedicate some brain energy, I’m sure I would be a very good photographer.

8. What about televisions? Have you already embraced the new technologies, such as HDTV, plasma, and flat screen? (On the other hand, you wouldn't remember black & white TVs, would you?)

We do not have a fancy new TV. Z guy wants one very badly but I think the cost to get into what he wants prohibits him from buying. Maybe next Christmas…

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home