blah, blah, blah

Monday, March 06, 2006

An Evening to Ourselves

We had a very nice evening last friday on our anniversay. Our children stayed with a neighbor and we went to our favorite mexican place. I had a margarita in my hand within minutes of getting through the door. It nearly knocked me on my socks but it was sooooo good. Z guy had his standard, Verde Enchiladas with extra tomatillo sauce. I had beef Flautas. We ate lots of chips and salsa, barely finished our dinner and headed home for some much needed "private time". It was great. We're going to have to start devoting more time to us again.

Yep, We've been together for 14 years and married for 10 of them. The funny thing is that I would never recommend that anyone stay together if they met like we did. It was not destined for success yet, somehow it works.

I first met Z guy when we both worked at McDonald's in our small hometown. It was a brand new store, the second in town (now I think there are three or four). I thought he was cute. He had a fast 280zx that he raced at the SCCA tracks. He was such a hot shot. We had mutual friends and would see each other at parties and out at the local pool hall, Skully's. One time he drove me home from one of the parties and we ended up getting very close. I thought it was going somewhere but the next day, no call. All week I waited for a call (why didn't I call). Then I acted immature (I was 16) and told all our mutual friends that he had mistreated me and some of them decided to ally with me and he was outcast from the group - it didn't really make that much of a difference to him. He had bigger plans. He and I went our separate ways and didn’t interact for several years.

Seven years later, we are in the same geometry class at college one summer. I didn’t talk to him because I was still hurt by the way he had treated me. He had changed quite a bit. He was heavier and quieter but still a bit of a snob.

About one year later, I decided to try to find Z guy and apologize for the way I’d hurt him in high school (hahaha, if I’d only known that he didn’t remember at all). It happened one evening after I’d hung up the phone with my then boyfriend/fiancé. The ex had made me angry for the umpteenth time. We had been living in separate states for years and finally when he is only now in the next town, only an hour away, I thought we’d be spending more time together. I had asked him if he’d like me to drive down to see him but he said no, he was just going to play some video games and stay home. There was no need for me to come down. Well, excuse me! This was at least the fifth time that video games had taken precedent over me and I’d had it. I told him that he could call me when he wasn’t busy anymore. I hung up the phone, picked up a pack of smokes, made myself a rum and coke and began my pity party.

I ended up calling all three of my previous ex’s just to ‘see how they were doing’. The first was happy to hear from me and we just chatted a bit. The second guy was a little freaked out-rightfully. Then there was Z guy. He wasn’t really an ex but I felt that I’d wronged him long ago so I needed/wanted to apologize. I knew he was a frat boy (he’d worn the frat hat in class every day) so I called the house and asked to speak to him. The pledge who answered the phone told me that he didn’t live there anymore but gave me a number where I could reach him. When Z guy answered the phone, he didn’t recognize my voice. I’m almost certain that my voice was slurring and I think he was intrigued-the scoundrel. He didn’t remember that I had tried to hurt him in high school – darn, I was such a fool! I found out that he worked at the computer center at the university. I had just purchased a new computer. Would he like to come by and see it? But, of course!

Well, that was the beginning. We’ve not been apart since except for the four months when he moved to CA for a dotcom job. I was still finishing some research work at the university and couldn't go with him. We married during that four months and I moved to CA. Z guy has been very good to and for me. I quit smoking after we got together. He dared me no less, and I had to win that bet. We have two of the most beautiful children I’ve ever seen. He is my best friend and I’m so lucky that we had a second chance.

[Previous ex didn’t notice that I hadn’t called him for almost two weeks. But by then, it was too late, I’d moved on. Last I heard, he was not doing so well.]

1 Comments:

  • I'm so happy you guys got a chance for a little time alone! Very fun story, too.

    jeeze, Video games. For crying out loud...

    By Blogger Overread, at 3/06/2006 6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home